divider

1959–1969: Revitalization

1959

  • Doctor H.C Moorehouse becomes the new superintendent and completely revitalizes the entire institution following years marked by patient overcrowding, staff shortage, and constant shortage of funding
  • October: the hospital is reorganized into a unit system, designed in order to make the administration of patients to be more effective, with a concentrated treatment
  • as a result, the hospital operates as “a series of functionally autonomous units,” as opposed to the old-styled “traditional centralized organization
  • a cafeteria is built.

1960

  • Doctor Donald Ross Gunn becomes the Director of Clinical Research
  • Cumberland House is renovated to accommodate day and night care of patients, and later a school for the patients from the Child and Adolescent Unit
  • that year, there are 1,096 patients in the hospital’s care with 514 staff members.

1963

  • construction of the R.C. Clark Filtration Plant takes place on the former farm of the hospital.

1964

  • the hospital is renamed again and becomes known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital (LSPH)
  • Central Trades Building is destroyed by fire.

1966

  • July 20: the Toronto Star reports that Joseph Armand Roy, a patient suffering from epilepsy, commits suicide by deliberately drowning in Lake Ontario
  • he is found face down in three feet of water, about twenty feet away from the shore.

1967

  • Doctor Gunn is appointed as the superintendent.
  • February 6: he opens the new Child and Adolescent Unit in Cottage 5
  • all of its patients, suffering from “psychiatric and behavioural disorders,” are required to attend a school located in the former superintendent’s residence.

1968

  • construction of R.C. Clark Filtration Plant is completed
  • The Moorehouse is erected by the Association of Volunteers.
Patients playing cards in the Moorehouse, late 1960s.

References

Anonymous. “History of Ontario Hospital, New Toronto, Henceforth to be Known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital” [Unpublished, written by an unnamed patient with the assistance of John Sutherland, Chief Attendant, c. 1964].
Bond, Ian K. “History of Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital.” July 1976.
Court, John. “Re: Humber College Timeline.” E-mail to Jim Graves. March 1, 2004.
Hansen R. C. “Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Orientation Package.” Etobicoke: Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, c. 1972.
“Hospital Didn’t Know Patient Tried Suicide.” The Toronto Daily Star September 17, 1966.
“Lakeshore Volunteers Meet.” The Advertiser April, 1971.
McKerrow, L.W. Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital: Submission to Committee on Mental Health Services, Ontario Council of Health. Etobicoke: Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, May 1978.
Melamet-Vetter, Walther. “The Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, A World of Its Own, Another Coocoo’s Nest, In New Toronto.” Toronto: July 1989.
“Volunteers Hear History of Psychiatric Hospital.” Mississauga Times May 5, 1971.

All primary sources retrieved from the Archives for the History of Canadian Psychiatry and Mental Health Services, January 30 and April 21–22, 2005. Images from the Archives of Ontario, Asylum Projects, RootsWeb, City of Toronto Archives, and from author’s collections. Additional information and corrections were provided by Ed Janiszewski and Ron McKinley.

divider