divider

Service Buildings

Powerhouse

Powerhouse, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: [n/a]
Hospital Designation, 1959: Powerhouse
Hospital Designation, 1975: Powerhouse
Current Designation: Power House Recreation Centre.

It was erected in either 1930 or 1937 (as indicated by conflicting sources), still standing today south of the former hospital, near the lake. Powerhouse replaced the obsolete congested boiler room, which was located in the Centre Building. It connected to the main hospital buildings through a heating trench. The construction was a result of the contemporary campaign of the Department of Public Works that sought to reduce fire hazards in publicly owned buildings.

Address: 65 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Carriage House

Carriage house, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Carriage house
Hospital Designation, 1959: Garage
Hospital Designation, 1975: Garage
Current Designation: William’s Coffee Pub.

Constructed in 1892 by the firm of J. & E. Dickenson, contracted a year earlier by the Department of Public Works. It contained a stable to the north, a carriage house in the centre, and a driving shed to the south. In 1930, it was modified to store vehicles rather than horses and carriages. The interior was divided into three separate sections with concrete partitions, and the original floor was replaced with cemenet.

Address: 21 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Moorehouse

Hospital Designation, 1889: [n/a]
Hospital Designation, 1959: [n/a]
Hospital Designation, 1975: Moorehouse
Current Designation: [n/a].

The building served as a lounge where patients received their visitors. It was erected in 1968 by the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Association of Volunteers and named after the former superintendent, Herbert Clayton Moorehouse, who had been in charge of the hospital between 1959 and 1967.

The Association remained active after the hospital was closed down and continued to operate the program until at least 1986. It was torn down in the early 1990s. For more information on this program, please refer to The Moorehouse, 1968–c.1986.

Address: [n/a].

Lakehouse

Hospital Designation, 1889: Engineer’ House (later Pumping House)
Hospital Designation, 1959: Lakehouse
Hospital Designation, 1975: Lakehouse
Current Designation: [n/a].

The plans for the construction were prepared in 1890, and it was built in 1891 by John Damp as the contractor. It is described as “in design, it had a decidedly classical bent, with a peaked central ‘pavilion’ complete with the oriole window and portico, flanked by small wings.” It is possible that it initially functioned as the pumping house with residential quarters for the asylum engineer.

When a separate pumping house was constructed in 1912, the structure was altered to provide housing for various members of staff over the years. The last person to reside there was a doctor. Later, the interior was modified for use as a school and for industrial therapy. It was located some distance south from the cottages, close to the lake. Unforuntely, it burned down in 1987 as a result of vandalism.

Address: [n/a].

Nurses’ Residence

Hospital Designation, 1889: [n/a]
Hospital Designation, 1959: Nurses’ Residence
Hospital Designation, 1975: Humber Building
Current Designation: [n/a].

In 1910, a shortage of adequately trained psychiatric nurses forced the Department of Health to establish a nursing school, which was housed in the attic of the Administration Building until 1931. That year, the Nurses’ Residence was constructed by H.N. Dancy and Sons under contract, although the foundation was built by patients. The building measured one hundred twenty-three by forty feet. It provided accommodation for sixty-three nurses, with seperate rooms for night and for nurses who fell ill. It also contained reception, common rooms, residences for the supervising staff, as well as lecture and demonstration rooms.

The exterior and the materials used in the construction resembled the Cottages. Another storey was added to the rear of the building in 1934, and two years later, wings were added to both sides of the structure. It was located just north of the present parking lot of the Assembly Hall.

Address: [n/a].

Centre Building

Hospital Designation, 1889: Centre Building
Hospital Designation, 1959: Centre Building
Hospital Designation, 1975: New Trades Building and Cafeteria
Current Designation: Building L: School of Creative and Performing Arts, Theatre

It included main kitchen, laundry, store, amusement hall, chapel, bakeshop, boiler house, recreation rooms, storerooms, and bedrooms for the staff, as well as a fire hall and the carpentry shop. In 1958, the building was gutted and absorbed in additional construction that included a new kitchen and service building. It burned down in 1964 abd was replaced by New Trades Building and Cafeteria ten years later. This building was demolished in the summer of 2010.

Address: 19 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Pavilions

Hospital Designation, 1889: [n/a]
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ladies’ and Men’s Pavilions
Hospital Designation, 1975: Pavilions
Current Designation: Pavilions.

The area around the lakeshore was design to accommodate more passive forms of therapy, such as reading and conversation. The first pavilion was built before 1893 and originally overlooked the lake. In 1893, the Department of Health requested another one to be built, which was later referred to as the “Ladies’ Pavilion.” Only the concrete base of this pavilion exists today, while the Men ’ Pavilions has survived intact.

Address: [n/a].

Cricket Oval

Cricket oval, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: [n/a]
Hospital Designation, 1959: Cricket oval
Hospital Designation, 1975: Cricket oval
Current Designation: Cricket oval.

This large open area was the main site for outdoor sports and other recreational activities. Levelled by patients in 1896, it was reportedly one of the finest in the former Township of Etobicoke. Soon, the incorporation of the Mimico Asylum Cricket Club followed, initiated by Doctor Nelson Beemer, the superintendent between 1894 and 1928. Later, this area accommodated tennis courts and croquet. The walking path around the cricket pitch was also used for horse racing.

Address: [n/a].

References

Anonymous. “History of Ontario Hospital, New Toronto, Henceforth to be Known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital” [Unpublished, written by an unnamed patient with assistant of John Sutherland, Chief Attendant, c. 1964].
Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning. Humber Lakeshore Campus Plans. Accessed January 30, 2011.
“Lakeshore Buildings Renamed.” Rapport 1975.
Melamet-Vetter, Walther. “The Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, A World of Its Own, Another Coocoo’s Nest, In New Toronto.” Toronto: July 1989.
Paine, Cecelia. “Origins of Therapeutic Landscape Design in Ontario: Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital.” CSLA/AAPC Congress ’98. Accessed September 2, 2012.
Peter Barnard Associates, in Association with A.J. Diamond Planners Ltd. Lakeshore Planning Study, Final Report: Future Use Options for the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Property. Prepared for the Ministry of Government Services and the City of Etobicoke. Toronto: Ministry of Government Services, September 1986.
Rogers, E.R. Esq., Inspector of Asylums, Parliament Buildings, Toronto. [Untitled].

Additional information and corrections were provided by Ed Janiszewski.

divider