Hospital Designation, 1889: [n/a]
Hospital Designation, 1959: Gatehouse
Hospital Designation, 1975: Gatehouse
Current Designation: The Gatehouse
It was built in 1893 and originally called an entrance lodge. The Gatehouse a fairly typical nineteenth-century dwelling that contained two bedrooms. It was constructed by William Clarke of Toronto, along with patients. The gardener occupied the house in its early years and later Doctor Carson, the assistant medical superintendent lived in it.
Additions to the Gatehouse, which included new kitchen, pantry, bedroom, closets, bathroom, and enlarged cellar with hot air furnace, were made in 1909. It fell into a state of complete disrepair after the closure in 1979. In 1998, a restoration project headed by Arthur Raymond Lockhart and supported by over four hundred volunteers and a charitable organization, resulted in the opening of a supportive centre for adults and children known as The Gatehouse.
Anonymous. “History of Ontario Hospital, New Toronto, Henceforth to be Known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital” [Unpublished,
written by an unnamed patient with assistant of John Sutherland, Chief Attendant, c. 1964].
“The Gatehouse.” New Toronto Historical Society. Accessed September 3, 2012.
Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning. Humber Lakeshore Campus Plans. Accessed January 30, 2011.
“Lakeshore Buildings Renamed.” Rapport 1975.
Melamet-Vetter, Walther. “The Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, A World of Its Own, Another Coocoo’s Nest, In New Toronto.” Toronto: July 1989.
Peter Barnard Associates, in Association with A.J. Diamond Planners Ltd. Lakeshore Planning Study, Final Report: Future Use Options for the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Property. Prepared for the Ministry of Government Services and the City of Etobicoke. Toronto: Ministry of Government Services, September 1986.
Rogers, E.R. Esq., Inspector of Asylums, Parliament Buildings, Toronto. [Untitled].
Additional information and corrections were provided by Ed Janiszewski.