Hospital Designation, 1889: Superintedent’s Residence
Hospital Designation, 1959: Cumberland House
Hospital Designation, 1975: Cumberland House
Current Designation: Jean Tweed Centre
Plans for a residence of the superintendent were prepared early in the history of the asylum, but they were revised in 1894 after it became a separate institution (as opposed to a branch of the Provinicial Lunatic Asylum in Toronto as originally intended). The addition to the plan included enhancement if the stature of the building. It is an impressive Queen Anne structure, ornamented by gingerbread and a tower. During the 1950s, the building was named after Dr. Thomas Daly Cumberland, who was in charge of administrating the hospital between 1936 and 1959, and he was the last superintedent to reside there.
In 1960, it was renovated to accommodate patients’ day and night care, and converted into Patients’ School House when the new Child and Adolescent Unit was opened in Cottage 5 in 1967. The program was administrated by the Etobicoke Board of Education. During 1984 and 1985, the former residence building was renovated at a cost of $400,000 and became the residence of clients treated at the Jean Tweed Centre.
Address: 3111 Lakeshore Boulevard West.
Anonymous. “History of Ontario Hospital, New Toronto, Henceforth to be Known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital” [Unpublished,
written by an unnamed patient with assistant of John Sutherland, Chief Attendant, c. 1964].
Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning. Humber Lakeshore Campus Plans. Accessed January 30, 2011.
“Lakeshore Buildings Renamed.” Rapport 1975.
Melamet-Vetter, Walther. “The Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, A World of Its Own, Another Coocoo’s Nest, In New Toronto.” Toronto: July 1989.
Peter Barnard Associates, in Association with A.J. Diamond Planners Ltd. Lakeshore Planning Study, Final Report: Future Use Options for the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Property. Prepared for the Ministry of Government Services and the City of Etobicoke. Toronto: Ministry of Government Services, September 1986.
Rogers, E.R. Esq., Inspector of Asylums, Parliament Buildings, Toronto. [Untitled].
Additional information and corrections were provided by Ed Janiszewski.