divider

Cottage A–E

Introduction

The structures that compromised the hospital were renamed throughout years of its operation. Originally, Cottages A–E housed male patients. The administration of the hospital changed the names of the buildings first in 1959 and later in 1975.

Cottage A

Cottage A. May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage A
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward A
Hospital Designation, 1975: Mimico Building
Current Designation: Building F: Schools of Media Studies, Information Technology, Math and Writing Centre.

It was most likely the first Cottage to be completed in 1889. Due to rapidly increasing patient population, an infill was constructed between Cottage A and Cottage B in 1931 to create additional space for the housing of the patient population (the same solution had to be applied to Cottages 1 and 2).

Address: 15 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive

Cottage B

Cottage B, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage B
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward B
Hospital Designation, 1975: Mimico Building.

Current Designation: Building F: Schools of Media Studies, Information Technology, Math and Writing Centre.

This Cottage was most likely the second structure to be built in 1899. Due to rapidly increasing patient population, an infill was constructed between Cottage A and Cottage B in 1931 to create additional space for the housing of the patient population.. The morgue was located in the basement and was accessible from the tunnel network that connected the Cottages and the Administration Building.

Address: 15 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Cottage C

Cottage C, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage C
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward C
Hospital Designation, 1975: Etobicoke East
Current Designation: Building E: classrooms, faculty offices.

Address: 11 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Cottage D

Cottage D, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage D
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward C
Hospital Designation, 1975: [n/a]
Current Designation: Building D: School of Creative and Performing Arts.

In the 1980s, Nelvana Limited, a Canadian entertainment company, occupied this Cottage during the 1980s.

Address: 9 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Cottage E

Cottage E, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage E
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward E
Hospital Designation, 1975: York West
Current Designation: Building C: School of Social and Community Services.

It was one of the two “refractory” Cottages. Built in 1892 for the most severely ill of male patients and for the criminally insane. Contained only single occupancy rooms, which were maximum security.

Address: 7 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Address: [n/a].

References

Anonymous. “History of Ontario Hospital, New Toronto, Henceforth to be Known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital” [Unpublished, written by an unnamed patient with assistant of John Sutherland, Chief Attendant, c. 1964].
Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning. Humber Lakeshore Campus Plans. Accessed January 30, 2011.
“Lakeshore Buildings Renamed.” Rapport 1975.
Melamet-Vetter, Walther. “The Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, A World of Its Own, Another Coocoo’s Nest, In New Toronto.” Toronto: July 1989.
Ontario Heritage Properties Program. Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, Etobicoke, Ontario: N00406. April, 1986.
Peter Barnard Associates, in Association with A.J. Diamond Planners Ltd. Lakeshore Planning Study, Final Report: Future Use Options for the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Property. Prepared for the Ministry of Government Services and the City of Etobicoke. Toronto: Ministry of Government Services, September 1986.
Rogers, E.R. Esq., Inspector of Asylums, Parliament Buildings, Toronto. [Untitled].

Additional information and corrections were provided by Ed Janiszewski.

divider