divider

Cottage 1–5

Introduction

The structures that compromised the hospital were renamed throughout years of its operation. Originally, Cottages 1–5 housed female patients. The administration of the hospital changed the names of the buildings first in 1959 and later in 1975.

Cottage 1

Cottage 1, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage 2
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward 2
Hospital Designation, 1975: Mississauga Building
Current Designation: Building H: Schools of Business, Food Services and Health Services, Cafeteria.

One of the first buildings to be constructed. Due to rapidly increasing patient population, an infill was constructed between Cottage 1 and Cottage 2 in 1931 to create additional space for the housing of the patient population (the same solution had to be applied to Cottages A and B). In the 1980s, the Ministry of Health operated two outpatient programs here: Industrial Therapy and Vocational Rehabilitation Programme as well as PACE West (a psychogeriatric clinic).

The Ministry of Community and Social Services used this building as the home of the VALTA Day Programme. It was part of the Thistletown Regional Centre, providing treatment, counselling and skill development training to at-risk youth and their families.

Address: 23 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Cottage 2

Cottage 2, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage 2
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward 2
Hospital Designation, 1975: Mississauga Building
Current Designation: Building H: Schools of Business, Food Services and Health Services, Cafeteria.

The interior of the building was destroyed by fire in 1905 and reconstructed a year later. Due to rapidly increasing patient population, an infill was constructed between Cottage 1 and Cottage 2 in 1931 to create additional space for the housing of the patient population. In 1939, it became an admission ward (reception for incoming patients). After the closure of the hospital in 1979, Queen Street Mental Health Centre opened an outpatient clinic here, providing services to over five hundred patients.

Occupational Therapy and Day Treatment, a service offered by the Ministry of Health, was also located in this Cottage at that time. Jean Tweed Centre, a specialized program to rehabilitate women suffering from alcoholism, held daily classes and workshop here in the 1980s.

Address: 23 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Cottage 3

Cottage 3, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage 3
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward 3
Hospital Designation, 1975: Peel East
Current Designation Building I: classrooms, faculty offices.

In the 1920s, this Cottage was used as a clinic for the care of tubercular patients. Occupational therapy, an inpatient program that was designed to assist patients to concentrate and cope with their problems through various craft activities was also administrated in this building in the 1970s. Prior to the renovations by Humber College (which now occupies the site) it was the last building to bear an old hospital sign which read “COTT.3”

Address: 25 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Cottage 4

Cottage 4, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage 4
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward 4
Hospital Designation, 1975: Peel West
Current Designation: Building J: English Language Centre, Liberal Arts and Science.

Address: 27 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

Cottage 5

Cottage 5, May 2011.

Hospital Designation, 1889: Cottage 5
Hospital Designation, 1959: Ward 5
Hospital Designation, 1975: Child and Adolescent Unit
Current Designation: Building K: Student Centre, Students’ Federation.

This Cottage, not part of the original architectual sketches by Kivas Tully, was built in 1892 as maximum-security for female patients considered too ill to recover as well as the criminally insane. It contained only single occupancy rooms, unlike the other four Cottages for women. On February 6, 1967, Dr. Donald Ross Gunn, the superintendent between 1967 and 1972, opened the new Child and Adolescent Unit in this building, complete with so-called “quiet rooms.” Between 1970 and 1971, it underwent a major renovation. It was one of the last buildings to be renovated by Humber College, which now occupies the site.

Address: 29 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.

References

Anonymous. “History of Ontario Hospital, New Toronto, Henceforth to be Known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital” [Unpublished, written by an unnamed patient with assistant of John Sutherland, Chief Attendant, c. 1964].
Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning. Humber Lakeshore Campus Plans. Accessed January 30, 2011.
“Lakeshore Buildings Renamed.” Rapport 1975.
Melamet-Vetter, Walther. “The Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, A World of Its Own, Another Coocoo’s Nest, In New Toronto.” Toronto: July 1989.
Peter Barnard Associates, in Association with A.J. Diamond Planners Ltd. Lakeshore Planning Study, Final Report: Future Use Options for the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Property. Prepared for the Ministry of Government Services and the City of Etobicoke. Toronto: Ministry of Government Services, September 1986.
Rogers, E.R. Esq., Inspector of Asylums, Parliament Buildings, Toronto. [Untitled].

Additional information and corrections were provided by Ed Janiszewski.

divider