Hospital Designation, 1889: Administration Building
Hospital Designation, 1959: Administration Building
Hospital Designation, 1975: Administration Building
Current Designation: Building G.
The main building was designed to accommodate the office of the resident physician (and later the superintedent) and his attendants, which was located on the second floor, overlooking the flower bed on the circular front lawn. The office of the matron and the reception room were also located here. The nursing school occupied the attic space between 1910 until 1932, when the Nurses’ Residence was built. The structure was partially renovated between 1930 and 1934, and the turret and the additional storey were removed in order to avoid the cost associated with their restoration.
In 1946 and 1949, the building was altered to provide separate consultation offices for medical staff and office facilities were added inside the front entrance, neither of which adhered to the original design. At some point, the main entrance was replaced by an aluminum door with glass windows on both sides, a design that was quite unsympathetic to the original structure and which did not respect the original outline of the doorway. In the 1980s, the building was used as a film set (most famously featured in the first and the third installment of Police Academy). Presently, it remains unoccupied, awaiting restoration by Humber College, which now occupies the site of the former hospital.
Address: 17 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive.
The “Haunting” of Building G: A Statement
The Romanesque Revival style of this building, coupled with over thirty years of deterioration, have made this structure a prime target for ghost hunters and urban explorers, even though it never housed patients and no treatment took place here. Therefore, historical facts prove that it is highly unlikely to be haunted.
Anonymous. “History of Ontario Hospital, New Toronto, Henceforth to be Known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital” [Unpublished,
written by an unnamed patient with assistant of John Sutherland, Chief Attendant, c. 1964].
Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning. Humber Lakeshore Campus Plans. Accessed January 30, 2011.
“Lakeshore Buildings Renamed.” Rapport 1975.
Melamet-Vetter, Walther. “The Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, A World of Its Own, Another Coocoo’s Nest, In New Toronto.” Toronto: July 1989.
Ontario Heritage Properties Program. Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital, Etobicoke, Ontario: N00406. April, 1986.
Peter Barnard Associates, in Association with A.J. Diamond Planners Ltd. Lakeshore Planning Study, Final Report: Future Use Options for the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital Property. Prepared for the Ministry of Government Services and the City of Etobicoke. Toronto: Ministry of Government Services, September 1986.
Rogers, E.R. Esq., Inspector of Asylums, Parliament Buildings, Toronto. [Untitled].
Additional information and corrections were provided by Ed Janiszewski.